Based in Brownie Cove
Dec 04, 2017
PC / Mac / Web
You can't remember what time it is, but you know it is late. You have just checked into your room at the Brownie Cove Hotel. The bed is lumpy and you can't sleep, but the TV is tempting...
Between Stations was made for Ludum Dare 40th, with the theme “the more you have the worse it is”. We focused on the idea of player-agency, and the idea of giving players more agency being a bad thing. The stories and choices in the game are almost always out of the player’s control in a way similar to watching TV, and so the gameplay is more about following curiosity and exploring miniature vignettes, scenes, and ideas at the player’s own pace. In your hotel room you CAN watch: humorous TV, spooky TV, frighteningly emotive TV - and everything in between! Perhaps someplace, you may find meaning in all this sdfavasfjkl static. ___________________ At EGX Leftfield 2018 we showed Between Stations in a unique installation setup, highlighting the playfulness of interaction... the immersiveness of life, art spaces, and video games... and tried to have some fun with the way we expressed things like hoplessness and sadness.
- 13 different channels to discover, each with unique graphics, story and audio!
- Immersive graphics shader and TV simulation!
- A mysterious world outside the TV that you cannot explore!
- Stories, places, characters, all out of reach and unable to control!
- You can’t stop watching the TV!
- Tune in now!
Playthrough from gamejamcurator YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "I am drawn to see all of the shows and understand what is behind each one…"
- Jupiter Hadley, Rock Paper Shotgun
- "Between Stations catches this scenario perfectly and is also such an amazing narrative experience, that I really hope that you will play it."
- Sebastian Standke, gamejamcurator
- "The deliberately mundane vessel of old, late-night hotel television is elevated by parodical wit and the elements of novelty and surprise."
- , The Indie Game Website
- "Guilt, awkwardness, humour, unease and confusion are delivered in rapid succession by this game, presented purely through simple multiple choice decision making."
- , Finger Guns
- "EGX’s Leftfield Collection is famous for always having at least one game with a strange custom hand built controller. Actually this year there’s more than one, but Between Stations stands out."
- Tom Hatfield, Trusted Reviews
Ludum Dare Entry Page
Between Stations at EGX Left-field
About Sand Gardeners
The Sand Gardeners are Sam Machell and Zephyr Raine. They are interested in ghosts, decaying technology, liminal spaces, text, and cultural memory. Their mission is to explore ideas relevant to today’s world in new and boundary-pushing ways.
More information on Sand Gardeners, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Between Stations Credits
Music for few channels